I've never been to a massage spa before. It wasn't because I didn't have the time or the money to treat myself to a great stress reliever. It was because I had no idea what kind of etiquette or how I had to prepare for a massage. But after going to a massage spa with my friend, I want to tell you guys some tips for your first time getting a massage!
1. ALWAYS TRY TO SHOWER. I think this is a pretty good rule for life, and not just for massages! You don't want to be enjoying your massage and suddenly hear your masseuse faint from the strong body odor smell. Fortunately, many massage spas have showers inside with cleaning amenities like towels and liquid soap.
2. MAKE AN APPOINTMENT. Nothing sucks more than arriving to your favorite massage place and finding out that your go-to masseuse is totally booked. That's why I highly recommend CALLING your spa beforehand to avoid waiting. Some places even have online booking programs, which is even more convenient.
3. COMMUNICATE. The only person who knows what you need is you! If there are certain areas on your body that need a little more handling, you should not hesitate to voice your needs. Your masseuse will be more than happy to accommodate to your needs. Try to avoid mentioning problem areas at the end of the session to avoid going over your time slot.
4. GO TO SLEEP. Only during a massage is it totally fine to fall asleep. It is probably a huge compliment to the masseuse if they can get you to relax to that level. But do be mindful of your snoring or drooling!
5. CASH IS KING. Many small businesses have CASH ONLY policies because card payment machines do take a cut of each credit card transaction. So if you want to really support your massage parlor, bring cash!
6. TIPPING SAYS THANKS. Massage therapists genuinely enjoy making someone's day better with the power of a massage. As a thank you, you want to tip to reciprocate their effort in making your day better,
7. BUY A PACKAGE. If you really enjoyed your massage and you're certain that you will be coming back, it would be smart to buy a massage package from the spa. Usually the packages have discounts on them and they make it easier for you to drop-in whenever you want for a massage. They also make for awesome gifts too.
8. TAKE THE CARD. You always want to take a card or flier from the massage place in case you want to call for an appointment or need directions to the area. Another thing is that you can also give this card to a friend if they mention that they're stressed out or need to relax. This gesture says that you're a great friend and you're also helping out a small business!